ABSCHLUSS / KOMMUNIKATIONSPRÜFUNG EXAM PREPARATION
This course is suitable for students in years 9 or 10 currently preparing for their English Abschluss or Kommunikationsprüfung exam.
Sample ‘can do’ statements
- I can apply for a position and interview job applicants.
- I can take on the role of a customer or a customer service representative.
- I can consider and negotiate options for a community proposal and a day trip.
- I can gather information by listening to interviews, news reports, adverts, phone calls, airport announcements, expert advice, vox pops and personal conversations.
- I can speculate aloud about the context of a still image.
- I can talk about the impact on people’s lives of sport, mobile phones, pets and what we study at school.
- I can use signposting and signalling language during a presentation.
- I can structure a monologue in detail and target it toward eliciting a particular audience reaction.
- I can utilise varied volume, intonation, and pace to make a monologue more effective.
- I can talk about the effects of different body language on myself and an audience, and its importance in different situations.
Why choose this course?
School leaving examinations are some of the most important assessments that students will have to undertake.
This course consists of three core modules, Monologues, Listening Skills and Dialogues, plus a selection of optional modules, including General English lessons; Presentation practice (strongly recommended); Writing skills; Reading skills; Project work; and Drama work. Please note that the listening module can be swapped for another optional module for Kommunikationsprüfung students.
Learning activities include:
- Speaking strategies
- Presentation techniques
- Confidence building
- Language skills related to opinions
- Linking words to improve fluency
- Identify typical text types
- Listen for gist
- Listen for specific types of information
- Take useful notes whilst listening
- Respond to short answer questions
CORE Workbook Lessons
Dialogue 1 – Getting into the Role
Dialogue 2 – Dealing with Challenges
Dialogue 3 – Improvising
Dialogue 4 – Active Listening
Dialogue 5 – Improving Range
Listening 1 – Predicting from Context
Listening 2 – Synonyms and Paraphrases
Listening 3 – Preparing to Listen and Note-taking
Listening 4 – More Predicting and Note-taking
Listening 5 – Listening Review
Monologue 1 – Coming Up with the Content
Monologue 2 – Using a Clear Structure
Monologue 3 – Introducing, Concluding and Personalising
Monologue 4 – Using your Voice
Monologue 5 – Better Body Language
General English lessons
This module gives students further opportunities to practise their general English skills, revising grammar, learning new vocabulary and reactivating passive skills through a series of fun, communicative lessons.
Presentation practice (strongly recommended)
This module gives students a chance to put all their work from the monologue lessons into practice, preparing and delivering a presentation for the final day.
This module can be easily tailored to suit the needs of the class, with areas of focus agreed in advance of the course. Students can work individually or in groups to produce their texts.
in this module, learners will practise important reading skills and strategies, such as skimming scanning and guessing the meaning of the word from the context.
In this module students will work in groups on a project task of their choosing which can be displayed and presented on the final day of the course.
A fun and motivating module where students write, prepare and rehearse a piece drama sketch to perform in a show at the end of the week.
Sample Course Outline
Getting into the Role
Dealing with Challenges
Predicting from Context
Synonyms and Paraphrases
Preparing to Listen and Note-taking
More Predicting and Note-taking
Coming Up with the Content
Using a Clear Structure
Introducing, Concluding and Personalising
Using your Voice
Better Body Language
|Optional Modules: General English lessons; Presentation practice; Writing skills; Reading skills; Project work; and Drama work