This course is designed for students who have been learning English for six months or more and are beginning to move beyond basic expressions, starting to communicate in simple and direct exchanges on familiar topics. They will be confident using a limited range of functional phrases and building a wider vocabulary in key areas.
Sample ‘can do’ statements
- I can form questions and use them to interview my classmates.
- I can talk about a place and describe what I can do there.
- I can talk about things that happened in the past.
- I can say what I think will happen in the future.
- I can plan, write, and perform a short sketch with the help of my teacher.
- I can ask people about their feelings and tell them about my feelings.
Why choose this course?
This course gives learners an experience of successfully communicating with a native speaker as well as having the opportunity to use English to communicate with the other students in a range of fun and engaging games and activities.
Participants will build on their existing skills, enabling them to develop ways of keeping conversations going. They will also extend their knowledge and skills to speak on a range of different topics and be encouraged by this to improve their fluency and use of basic tenses.
Learning activities include:
- Mingling activities
- Information exchanges
- Role-plays and simulations
- Conversation games
- Flashcard games
- Memory games
- ‘Run and match’ games
- Question and answer re-ordering activities
- Board races
- Sentence-scrabble and sentence building
CORE WORKBOOK LESSONS
- About my Class
- Can you…?
- At the Weekend
- What can you see?
- Where in the world am I?
- True or False?
- The Future
GENERAL ENGLISH COURSES – WEEKLY PROGRAMMES OF STUDY
|Lesson 1||Icebreaking Activities||Feelings||Where in the world am I?||The Future||
End of course games
|Lesson 2||About my Class||At the Weekend||Holidays||Crazyland|
|Lesson 3||Can you…?||What can you see?||True or false?||The Big Quiz|
|Lesson 4||Mini-Dramas||Tailored lessons||Project completion|
|Lesson 5||Project groups and topic choices||Initial project preparation||Ongoing work on projects||Ongoing work on projects||Afternoon show performance or preparation for evening performance|
|Lesson 6||Preparation and rehearsals for end of course show or presentation|